Monday, July 21, 2014

4 Points

Well, my summer in the Dominican Republic is actually coming to a close; I've got one more week here in the Santo Domingo Norte branch office and then one week back in the central office. After that next weekend, I'll fly back to the scorching but familiar Texas heat.

Doubtlessly, I've had a once-in-a-lifetime experience here. Yes, I plan to travel abroad in the future, but those journeys will be completely new and different from this one. The first time that you decide to dive into another country and submerse yourself in their language, culture, and way-of-life is an experience that cannot be replicated. And I am more than grateful that this opportunity was given to me.

So, simultaneously looking at the past, present, and future, what have I learned here? What are those things that really made an impression on me, those things that I will remember forever?

1) I can do this, but I cannot do it alone. I have not just been stretched beyond my known limits, but have been forcefully thrown across them. In so doing, I have discovered that the boundaries that I so carefully danced upon were all self-imposed due to fear of failure or embarrassment. Now, I have failed. I have embarrassed myself (thoroughly, I might add). And I'm all the better for it. I've learned that in those moments, I can trust and depend on the people around me, friends and strangers alike, and on God. The obsessive idea of complete independence so prevalent in America is obliterated here.

2) It's okay not to know everything. In fact, I know very little! And I'm not just talking about the Spanish language here. I'm talking about all of it. Spanish, the public transportation system, the culture, and everything that makes up a community of people. I don't know; I don't know! "I wasn't supposed to do that? Whoops. My bad." "There's not a bus that goes there today? Really? Well that's funny. I must have misunderstood." But you know what? That's alright. Truly, it's okay. Life will not come crumbling down; it won't even be that hard! Vulnerability is okay; it's genuine. And most people are willing to help out someone who is being honest about their own ignorance. Maybe I should try owning up to this in the States, as well. If I can muster up enough humility to ask a question or two, I might save myself some pain in the long-run.

3) Look for what makes you feel alive, and then follow it. This has been one of the biggest revelations to me. I've discovered, at least in part, what makes me burst with excitement: adventure. I had always suspected this about myself, but now I really, truly know. I love seeing the world; I love jumping off cliffs and white-water rafting and hiking and riding on motorcycles and talking to random people about their lives. I love seeing oceans and mountains and waterfalls and cities. I love to explore. But this extends beyond the physical, and thank the Lord because I don't always have the opportunity to do those things (though I will certainly make a point to try to). Intellectual and spiritual exploration is just as exciting. How does God interact with us? How does He show us Himself? How can I show Him to others? How can I do this in everyday life? What is everyday life? Does it have to be monotonous? No---I don't think so; not if we consciously choose to stray away from the mundane everyday and follow what we've been called to all along. What have you been called to, specifically? That's the journey itself!

4) Take the time to know yourself and others. The past 2 months have given me ample time to explore my thoughts, feelings, values, and attitudes as they've been compared and contrasted against the Dominican culture. So often in America, I'm going, going, going all the time with hardly the time to think of anything other than what is next on my schedule. That's awful, and it does nothing for me. I may have crossed something off of my list, but if I keep dwindling that list down without considering where I'll end up when I finish it, then I very well might end up somewhere I never wanted to be. Similarly, our lives are centered on relationships, and if I don't take the time to cultivate them thoroughly and healthily, then I'm lacking something crucial in life. As much as I've learned that I love adventure, I would gladly give up those opportunities if they damaged the state of my relationships with God, people, or nature. Take the time to get to know those around you, both new and old friends. And a quick note on the old ones: Often times we assume, because we have had a relationship with someone for a long time, that we know them. Thus, we stop caring for and nurturing those relationships as we very well should. This is a tragedy, and leads to many great misunderstandings, because these are the relationships that mark us the most deeply, for better or for worse, and are the ones that are most important to the wellbeing of ourselves and those around us. So, with that being said, take the time to know yourself and others. It's essential to good, beautiful living.

And so now I've rambled (You're welcome, parents). But, I'd also like to know what other people are learning this summer back in the States or wherever one may be in this big world. If you've learned something from experience that you wouldn't mind sharing, I'd love to hear. Just post or message me on Facebook!


No comments:

Post a Comment